Monday, September 19, 2011

Starting up again, putting out the hat

Well...it's been a while, hasn't it? Two years almost.

With the leaves turning in the Northern Hemisphere and Fall TV returning, I've decided to start blogging again. Hopefully I'll be able to do so pretty consistently. It will be mainly TV recaps and (hopefully) movie reviews, with occasional commentary on entertainment news and reposts of things I found interesting. The shows I will be focusing on include
  • Supernatural (my new obsession this year)
  • Castle
  • How I Met Your Mother
  • NBC Thursday Night Comedy - Community, Parks and Recreations, and The Office.
  • Fairy tale reboots - Grimms and Once Upon a Time.
  • Modern Family
  • Anything older that I end up re-watching on DVD--hopefully including Gilmore Girls, Carnivale and Defying Gravity.
I do have a day job and a career as a fiction writer, so I may occasionally have to lump several episodes of one thing together in one post. The older shows, in particular, are likely to be written about a season or half-season at a time. I hope to make my posts stand out by incorporating concepts from social justice movements, literary criticism, psychology, and comparative religion. I hope to post at least twice a week. Assume that there is a spoiler alert on everything--in the case of TV shows both for the episode(s) in question and anything that came before it.

I'll be installing a PayPal button. This is because I think my time, and my words, are worth something. Other bloggers doing this kind of writing don't have PayPal buttons, and that's fine. I'm just making a different choice. You are more than welcome to read if you can't or just don't wish to pay; but if you want to throw contribute monetarily, that's greatly appreciated. In fact, page hits, friendly comments, word of mouth, retweets--just your time and attention--it's all appreciated.

I'd also like to say a word about my commenting policy. I am perfectly open to having mature, good-faith differences of opinion in this space. You don't have to like what I like, or share all my political opinions either. But comments that are just intended to stir up trouble or play devil's advocate, or which include bigoted words and ideas, will be deleted. (By by "bigoted", I'm referring to racism, sexism, transphobia, sizeism, sectarianism, classism, and similar things.) This is not censorship, as I am not the government. This is my playground, and you have the whole rest of the world in which to say whatever you want.

If you are also a blogger, please don't drop your links in comments. Message me and we can talk about promoting each other. I'm also very open to doing guest posts on group blogs.

Well, that's about it! Pull up a chair, make yourself some coffee. This should be fun.

No comments: